***Please read the instructions below before starting your application. Some policies have changed since Spring 2019 ***
GPSA funding is available to graduate or professional Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) to promote the interests of the constituents of GPSA. GPSA RSO Funding hosts two funding periods per academic year; Fall and Spring Semester.
New for the 2019–2020 academic year, RSOs are also able to apply to become a GPSA Affiliate RSO. Affiliate status guarantees a full year of funding, but also has some additional requirements. See the bottom of this page for more information about GPSA Affiliate RSO status.
*If your RSO is awarded GPSA funding, then please contact Berto Cerrillo (email@example.com) to spend your award.*
1) Set up RSO on cougsync that qualifies for GPSA funding.
Set up a budget account with WSU.
RSO must be comprised of at least 50% graduate or professional students.
RSOs must apply for funding the semester before they want to use funds.
Groups must provide a budget outline and follow the GPSA RSO Funding Budget Template.
Choose whether your group would like to apply for semester-based RSO funding (capped at $800) or annual Affiliate RSO funding (capped at $2500).
3) Application Review
Funding applications are reviewed by the GPSA Budget Committee.
Review process takes approximately two weeks to complete.
The GPSA budget committee will present their reviews to the GPSA senate for final approval.
Groups will be notified of the committee's decision through email.
Funds will be allocated within the GPSA budget for your affiliate group to spend out of by the first week of the semester.
To spend the allocated funds, you must use Student Involvement’s PO/IRI/P-Card form. Please contact Berto Cerrillo (firstname.lastname@example.org) to begin this process.
5) Semester Review
To be eligible for GPSA RSO Funding, all groups must provide a review of how previous funds have been spent or would have been spent.
***The semester review is now a part of the RSO funding application. It is no longer a separate form.***
For RSOs that received funding the semester prior, the form will highlight how GPSA funding aided your organization’s projects and events.
For RSOs that did not receive funding the semester prior, the form will highlight the vision of your RSO by describing how your organization would have used RSO funds.
2019–2020 Semester-based RSO Funding Dates
Funding to use during the Fall 2019
Application Opens: March 25, 2019
Application Closes: April 17, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Funding to use during the Spring 2020
Application Opens: October 15, 2019
Application Closes: November 16, 2019 at 11:59 pm
The semester-based funding application will be available in Fall 2019.
2019–2020 Annual-based "Affiliate" RSO Funding Dates
Application Opens: TBD
Application Closes: TBD at 11:59 pm
The Affiliate RSO funding application will be available in Fall 2019.
Questions? Please contact the GPSA Vice President (email@example.com).
GPSA RSO Funding Policies
All events and programs funded must align with the mission of the GPSA.
GPSA RSO Funding gives priority to events/programs that:
- Are Educational in Scope
- Fosters Leadership Development
- Fosters Career/Professional Development
- Fosters Community Development
- Benefits individuals both within the organization and outside the group’s membership
- Enhances the graduate and professional student experience
- Prioritizes academia and/or research
- Provides an educational opportunity that would otherwise be unavailable to graduate and professional students at WSU
- Has co-sponsorship
- Collaborates with other RSOs to organize an event, whereby each RSO involved will contribute to the overall cost of the event.
GPSA RSO Funding Policies:
- Only RSOs with membership that is majority graduate and professional students may apply.
- RSO’s cannot receive more than $800 in a single semester ($1,600 in a fiscal year) unless they obtain affiliate status. If the requirements are met for affiliate status, an RSO can receive a maximum of $2500 per year.
- Funds may not be allocated retroactively. No reimbursements may be made for costs incurred prior to the approval of funding.
- Funds may not be used for purchasing gifts, prizes, awards, or making loans.
- If awarded funding, all marketing materials for events/programs supported by GPSA funds must include the GPSA logo.
- Vendors that utilize sweatshops are against GPSA policy and therefore unacceptable
- If an RSO purchases products manufactured in sweatshops they will lose their affiliate funding eligibility for the following semester
- All RSO who wish to be eligible for GPSA funds must complete the GPSA RSO Funding application.
- Failure to complete the application completely or follow all instructions will result in a one semester probation where the group is ineligible for GPSA funding.
- Applications should be supported by invoices, estimates from vendors, or price quotations of the cost of items to be purchased.
*Failure to follow any of the above guidelines may result in the DENIAL of funding or the revocation of funding after approval.*
Examples of what GPSA will fund:
- Printing through University Services
- Space Rental
- Advertising costs
- Equipment Rental
- Honorarium for speakers
- Travel for speakers
Examples of what GPSA will NOT fund:
- Events at private residences
- Products manufactured in sweatshops
- Awards (i.e. prizes, trophies, plaques, etc.)
- Reimbursements from previous semesters
Note: Funds awarded for the Fall 2019 semester will carryover to the spring semester and must be spent by June 15, 2020.
Affiliate Funding Aftermath - What have RSOs been doing with the money they receive?
New for 2019–2020: GPSA Affiliate RSO Status
Graduate and professional RSOs may apply for GPSA Affiliate Status in the academic year 2019–2020. You may submit this application if you are also applying for GPSA RSO Funding for Fall 2019, but please note only one of the applications will be approved.
As a GPSA Affiliate RSO, you will receive the following support from GPSA:
- You will be able to apply for funding annually rather than by semester and funding will be capped at $2,500 rather than $1,600 for the year.
- $2,500 will be available from August 1, 2019 until June 15, 2020
- An additional $200 in leadership scholarships to be allocated at $50 each for the RSO President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Your RSO will be allowed event advertising space in GPSA's Monday Minute and on GPSA's social media platforms
The additional requirements to obtain GPSA Affiliate status include:
- A listed GPSA Senator contact
- A leadership team (with elections completed by time of application) with at minimum a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer
- One event that is open to all WSU students and staff with a broad impact on campus must be organized each semester
- In order to maintain status the following year, RSOs that obtain affiliate funding must spend at least 75 percent of the awarded $2,500 by June 15, 2020
*Visit the GPSA Funding Policies page to see additional details, of which the page will be made available in Fall 2019.
For your budget, see the GPSA Funding Budget Template, of which will be made available in Fall 2019.
If your RSO meets the above criteria, or if you are already serving the broader WSU community, you may want to consider applying for Affiliate RSO Status for these extra benefits!
Affiliate applications will be evaluated on the additional following criteria:
- Uniqueness and creativity of events
- Realistic budgets
- Broad impact
- Fulfills a need that is currently unmet (i.e., satisfies WSU’s Drive to 25 and GPSA’s Vision)
As this is a new process, please don't hesitate to ask questions. You can email the GPSA Vice President at firstname.lastname@example.org to clarify any policies or schedule a meeting.